Friday, June 5, 2009

early June, 09

D port,

One friend of the D Note, Tracy Laswell Valdez, sent us an e-mail with these words, "I was walking my dog past the place today and noticed artist Sarah Bergman's name on a flyer. She was a friend of my daughter back in elementary school. It’s like the DNote is this great cosmic artistic nexus of friends old and new…" We love that "cosmic artistic nexus of friends" idea. Last Saturday night we had wedding reception for a couple that met at the D Note, Scot and Michelle Livingston. They had a band play called "Little Dead Things". The band loved Sarah's art and are going to commission her to do their cd cover. So the connections just keep connecting.

This Thursday after trivia (6:30pm) we have a band called Churchill. We first encountered this band on New Band Night and dug them so much we brought them back. Music to swoon to, a la Elephant Revival. $5.

Friday night at 5:30pm we have the hawaiian jam back in the house, Kana Ka Pila. This always brings a fantastic island vibe to the D Note, a bunch of Hawaiian musicians getting together to jam and sing traditional songs. Rumor has it that they are going to sing a song Adam D wrote in Hawaii. We'll see. After the jam, at 8pm we have the great Mono Verde back in the house, a latin reggae band with 9 members from 9 different countries. Opening for Mono Verde will be the Asia Jazz Project. Mono Verde loves to play the D Note so let us love them back and show up in droves to dance. $7

Saturday night we have the "re-do" of the benefit that was snowed out a few months back. The benefit is for Judi's House (providing healing to grieving children) and Bicycle Colorado. The Jagtones, one of the most fun, most danceable cover bands around, will play starting at 8pm. $10. Come dance and help support the cause.

Next Tuesday at 7pm we have the final Metropolitan Jazz Orchestra show of the season, with Rampart HS jazz band opening up. Big band jazz, good stuff. $10.

Ever and anon,

D bark

Extra Credit: One of our greatest living poets, Leonard Cohen, is playing Red Rocks Thursday night. He hasn't been on tour in 15 years. Guy's like 75 years old. In honor of Leonard let us take a closer look at a one of his most popular songs.

Bird On The Wire

Like a bird on the wire
Like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free

Like a worm on a hook
Like a knight from some old fashioned book
I have saved all my ribbons for thee

If I have been unkind
I hope that you can just let it go by
If I have been untrue
I hope you know it was never to you

Like a baby stillborn
Like a beast with his horn
I have torn everyone who reached out for me

But I swear by this song
And by all that I have done wrong
I will make it all up to thee

I saw a beggar leaning on his wooden crutch
He said to me, "You must not ask for so much"
And a pretty woman leaning in her darkened door
She cried to me, "Hey, why not ask for more?"

Like a bird on the wire
Like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free

No comments: