Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Extra Credit, 7/3/13

Hey y'all. Thanks for sticking with me and giving me a reason to share poems! Here's one I read recently that got to me. I love the transparency of it, the way it is fruitily sentimental. And the way it shows the way. (A way.)

Effort at Speech Between Two People
BY MURIEL RUKEYSER

: Speak to me. Take my hand. What are you now?
I will tell you all. I will conceal nothing.
When I was three, a little child read a story about a rabbit
who died, in the story, and I crawled under a chair :
a pink rabbit : it was my birthday, and a candle
burnt a sore spot on my finger, and I was told to be happy.

: Oh, grow to know me. I am not happy. I will be open:
Now I am thinking of white sails against a sky like music,
like glad horns blowing, and birds tilting, and an arm about me.
There was one I loved, who wanted to live, sailing.

: Speak to me. Take my hand. What are you now?
When I was nine, I was fruitily sentimental,
fluid : and my widowed aunt played Chopin,
and I bent my head on the painted woodwork, and wept.
I want now to be close to you. I would
link the minutes of my days close, somehow, to your days.

No comments: