Thursday, November 19, 2009

11/12/09

D La Soul,

This weekend fancy beards, moustaches, flamenco, funk, bands that start with W and more.

The weekend starts off with trivia tonight at 6:30pm. Then there is a CD release for Tommy Staudt. A rising star with a touch of Fray. $5

Friday night we have a Flamenco show at 7pm w/ Maria Vasquez, Kevin Romero and Vicente Griego "El Cartucho", a Flamenco singer, educational artist and traveler from Embudo, New Mexico who has devoted his life to the study of cante flamenco, the art of flamenco singing. “Vicente Griego ‘El Cartucho’ is striking for his deep sonorous wails that seem to come from a cavern, someplace deep within his soul…” -Anna Poplawska, Chicago Artist’s News. $10

After Flamenco at 8:15 pm we have The Neighbors, a jazz ensemble from North Denver, and then at 9:30p we have The Atomic Brass Project bringing The Tower Of Earth, Wind and Fire Power. $5

Saturday is our first annual Beard and Moustache Showdown and it's a doozie. Monica D was inspired to put on this event after witnessing the World Beard & Moustache Championship in Anchorage earlier this year and she's done a great job putting the first one together at the D Note. Proceeds to benefit the Boys & Girls Club of Metro Denver. Great music, awarding winning breweries, family friendly. (Kids free before 7:30) Advance tickets still available today and tomorrow for $12 or $15 at door for beer tasting and beard competition. $10 for The West and Wisebird (from Austin TX) after 7pm.

Support and Prizes provides by: Legends Salon, Rheinlander's Bakery, North Denver News, Knit Knack, Bliss Cafe, Vacation Rentals, Jack of Diamonds Tattoo and many more.

Times and Info:
3:00p - 5:00p - Registration and Beer Tasting ($12 Advanced/$15 Day of Event) Music by Clamdaddys
5:30p - 6:30p - Moustache and Beard competition
6:30p - 7:30p - Music by Wonderlic during voting/judging.
7:30p - 8:00p - Winners Announced
8:00p - 9:00p - The West (featuring members of The Reals) $10
9:30p - ????? - Wisebird (from Austin, TX)

Beer tasting provided by the following breweries: Dry Dock (winner of 2009 GABF Small Brewery of the Year), Left Hand, Avery, Stone and Alaskan.

Sound like fun?


Next Tuesday at 4:30pm we have celebration of the life of the great bassist and luthier Bob Monroney, with lots of good music. Then around 9pm we have Doo Crowder (of Pee Pee) and friends.

Fancy follicles,

D face

Extra Credit: Several people guessed correctly on the first riddle last week, but the fastest was Robin Degrassi James. Michelle Jungbauer was the only to get number 2. Congrats. Nobody got the third.

1. In marble walls as white as milk,
Lined with skin as soft as silk,
Within a fountain crystal clear,
A golden apple doth appear.
No doors there are to this stronghold,
Yet thieves break in and steal the gold.

EGG

2. A bright red flower he wears on his head;
His beautiful coat needs no thimble nor thread;
And though he's fearsome, I'll have you know
Ten thousand doors open when he says no!

ROOSTER

3. What is that which goes up the hill
And down the hill,
And of all yet standeth still?

A ROAD


And finally, in honor of the hairy event this Saturday, a very romantic poem to a beard by J.R. Solonche

To My Beard

What can I say but I am sorry,
I apologize for what I do to you,
my daily ruthlessness and cruelty.
What can I do but ask for your forgiveness
and your patience. For someday,
I promise you, someday I swear
on the beards of the prophets
and on the beard of the poet Whitman and
on the beard of the president Lincoln,
I will not stop you any longer,
I will let you go free, I will take down
the fence around you made of sharp blades.
For someday, I promise you, I will let
you run wild through the valleys
of my face like a stallion, I will let you
wander over the desert of my face
like a holy man in his vision of heaven
and hell, I will let you grow, blossom
and flourish, and I will stroke you
and comb you and keep you orderly
and free of knots and tangles,
and you in turn will make me look
distinguished, a wise old man as I stroke
you looking serious, looking as though
I were thinking deep thoughts about
life and death. But I will be thinking
only about you, my beard, my second face,
and this will be our secret.

J.R. Solonche

No comments: