Tuesday, August 11, 2009

mid August, 09

D nigh and far,

An early d-mail this week because we forgot to mention last week a very interesting gypsy band from Austin Texas playing tonight, Tuesday, Aug 11, at 8pm, called WinoVino. From their myspace, "From the cobbled streets of Paris (circa 1920) to a dusty wagon train across Romania. From peril on the high seas, to the seedy underbelly of prohibition era cabaret, we've hitched our way across a century and more. We have brought back with us an acoustic revelry of uproarious instrumentals, swooning ballads, and an intoxicating live performance for young and old alike." $5.

Tomorrow night, Wed, Aug 12, we'll have a FREE lindy hop lesson at 7:30pm before the Clamdaddys play at 8pm!

After Trivia (6:30pm) on Thursday we'll have a psychedelic experimental rock band from Dallas, TX called SPiVEY at 9pm. $5.

Friday, Aug 14, we have Sound Rabbit back doing their poptastic tunes at 8pm, followed by the Police tribute band Message In A Bottle. $10. Opening the night at 6pm will be Drew Schofield.

Saturday, Aug 15, we have a FREE big band show with Sentimental Sounds at 5pm. Then we have a couple of Irish bands starting at 7:30pm. First is Cellar Door and at 9pm is Big Paddy. Cellar Door have charmed us before with their gaelic sound, but this is a first appearance for Big Paddy. If you like the Irish footstomp onslought of The Pogues, then you'll love these guys. Rounding out the night at 10:30pm will be Junk Drawer, a unique indie blues rock band with a fabulous hit song, "Gold Beard". $5.

For our Sunday night salsa we have a special promotion for those of you that have never tried salsa before. Let them know at the door that you are a first timer and cover is half price. So for $4 you'll get a salsa lesson (8pm) followed by an 11 piece salsa orchestra (La Candela). There will also be a drink special that night, 2 for 1 Cuba Libres. If you've been wanting to try salsa dancing, now's the time.

Next Tuesday we start up a new series, an artist showcase put together every third Tuesday of every month by COMBO (Colorado Music Business Organization). The first show will feature an interesting all girl electro-folk band SHEL. In the same vein and also playing will be a celtic girl folk duo The Gristle Gals. Also playing will be John Kappler. An impressive debut for COMBO's artist showcase at D Note. 7pm. FREE.

More beautiful music than you can shake a stick at,

D Scribe

Extra Credit: In honor of the gypsy spirit making it's appearance at the D Note tonight, a gypsy romance by Federico Garcia Lorca, translated by William Logan.



Romance Sonambulo

Green, how I want you green.
Green wind. Green branches.
The ship out on the sea
and the horse on the mountain.
With the shade around her waist
she dreams on her balcony,
green flesh, her hair green,
with eyes of cold silver.
Green, how I want you green.
Under the gypsy moon,
all things are watching her
and she cannot see them.

Green, how I want you green.
Big hoarfrost stars
come with the fish of shadow
that opens the road of dawn.
The fig tree rubs its wind
with the sandpaper of its branches,
and the forest, cunning cat,
bristles its brittle fibers.
But who will come? And from where?
She is still on her balcony
green flesh, her hair green,
dreaming in the bitter sea.

--My friend, I want to trade
my horse for her house,
my saddle for her mirror,
my knife for her blanket.
My friend, I come bleeding
from the gates of Cabra.
--If it were possible, my boy,
I'd help you fix that trade.
But now I am not I,
nor is my house now my house.
--My friend, I want to die
decently in my bed.
Of iron, if that's possible,
with blankets of fine chambray.
Don't you see the wound I have
from my chest up to my throat?
--Your white shirt has grown
thirsy dark brown roses.
Your blood oozes and flees a
round the corners of your sash.
But now I am not I,
nor is my house now my house.
--Let me climb up, at least,
up to the high balconies;
Let me climb up! Let me,
up to the green balconies.
Railings of the moon
through which the water rumbles.

Now the two friends climb up,
up to the high balconies.
Leaving a trail of blood.
Leaving a trail of teardrops.
Tin bell vines
were trembling on the roofs.
A thousand crystal tambourines
struck at the dawn light.

Green, how I want you green,
green wind, green branches.
The two friends climbed up.
The stiff wind left
in their mouths, a strange taste
of bile, of mint, and of basil
My friend, where is she--tell me--
where is your bitter girl?
How many times she waited for you!
How many times would she wait for you,
cool face, black hair,
on this green balcony!
Over the mouth of the cistern
the gypsy girl was swinging,
green flesh, her hair green,
with eyes of cold silver.
An icicle of moon
holds her up above the water.
The night became intimate
like a little plaza.
Drunken "Guardias Civiles"
were pounding on the door.
Green, how I want you green.
Green wind. Green branches.
The ship out on the sea.
And the horse on the mountain.

No comments: