Wednesday, August 13, 2008

mid August, ought eight

Sunny D,

Summer days, something's begun, but, uh, oh those suh hummer nigh hights. Tell me more, tell me more.

This Thursday, August 14, great summer night music at 7:30pm with the incomparable crooner Rob Drabkin and an old time indie folk band called Flatfoot featuring Aaron C. Keim from the Boulder Acoustic Society. $5

Friday night we start with heavy Jazz. First is The Joshua Trinidad Trio at 5:00pm, electro progressive hip hop flavored jazz. Off the hook, check the myspace stuff. Then at 7:30pm we have a straight up heavy jazz, The Ben Markley quintet featuring Greg Gisbert on trumpet.$5. Come out and support, Jazz lovers! At 9:30pm we have a strange new bluesy band called ManApes. $5. We've heard good things about their live show and are intrigued.

Saturday night we start at 7:30pm with Trinity Demask of Third Road Home opening for The Cara Cantarella Band. A couple great examples of the many good under the radar Denver bands. $7. Then at 9:30pm we have the return of the country blues rock of MaricopaMadman. Come sway. $5

There is a new D Note blog in which these d-mails will be archived. And for those of you who are interested in the comic intricacies of the great D-mail fiasco of mid June, ought eight, check out the North Denver News article about it in the same blog. dnotebuzz.blogspot.com

blog blog blog,

D log,

Extra Credit: Charles Bukowski wrote novels and short stories. But his poems are the best, since they are even shorter stories. Here's a good one. The weird line breaks are all signature Bukowski, and so is the tone. (D Note trivia: our patron, Ivan Suvanjieff, from PeaceJam, has a correspondence with Bukowski, and you can read the dirt on Ivan, if you so desire, in Bukowski's Selected Letters.)

Bluebird

there's a bluebird in my heart that
wants to get out
but I'm too tough for him,
I say, stay in there, I'm not going
to let anybody see
you.

there's a bluebird in my heart that
wants to get out
but I pour whiskey on him and inhale
cigarette smoke
and the bartenders
and the grocery clerks
never know that
he's
in there.

there's a bluebird in my heart that
wants to get out
but I'm too tough for him,
I say,
stay down, do you want to mess
me up?
you want to screw up the
works?
you want to blow my book sales in
Europe?

there's a bluebird in my heart that
wants to get out
but I'm too clever, I only let him out
at night sometimes
when everybody's asleep.
I say, I know that you're there,
so don't be
sad.
then I put him back,
but he's singing a little
in there, I haven't quite let him
die
and we sleep together like
that
with our
secret pact
and it's nice enough to
make a man
weep, but I don't
weep, do
you?

No comments: